Saturday, August 22, 2009

Headin to a Weddin...

What is it about a wedding, even a wedding involving total and complete strangers, that gets the romantic juices flowing? These two people about to get hitched could very well be the worst matched pair since Woody and Mia, I would still get teary when they timidly kiss for the first time as husband and wife. The stats show that as Americans we marry too often. Compared to our neighbors across the pond we marry, divorce and then remarry with amazing efficiency, thus increasing both the number of wedding dresses produced only to end up at the garage sale down the street and the number of butter mints that end up in land fills. Divorce attorneys are the real winner in this bitter cycle of lust/love/loss. Tragic, but still...we marry too often? What in the world are we supposed to do with a statistic like that. Does it mean we are an impatient lot who can't wait to jump back into matrimony so we won't have to eat alone? Does it mean we are gluttons for punishment and get back in the white sequined saddle as quickly as possible..."thank you...may I have another?!?" I prefer to think that it is because we are a bunch of sappy, half-wit and hopeless romantics. We have all watched The Wedding Planner and the Wedding Singer and the like enough times to think that if we try hard enough and really believe in love, magic will deliver us the perfect mate and life will be strawberries and champagne, at least until we get into the Cheaper by the Dozen years of our lives.

I don't know... I guess that be it too many Cuzack movies, not wanting to grow old alone, or perhaps because I did magically find my perfect mate, I dig marriage. I dig being a husband. I love my wife and all her bells and whistles. I don't wish to see the new models, fuel efficient or not. My marriage is the skeleton that holds this flabby life together and I hope that is what this marriage tonight will bring to this nervous, naive couple. Being married to the right person for the right reason is a timeless classic that will always be in style.

So break out the good shoes and the tiny bottles of bubbles...wedding bells are ringing~!

No comments:

Post a Comment