Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Grandma will finally be at Christmas this year...

My grandmother passed away yesterday morning after many years of declining mental and physical health.  Unfortunately for all of us she was in Florida while the rest of the family was back "home" in Ohio.  She was a wonderful woman and I remember her bright smile and how empty it felt not to have that smile at holidays those first few years they decided not to make the trip back up to see us.  It hurt as a grandchild and it hurt us as a family.  I know she would have wanted to be here if she had the choice.  Now that she has passed I hope she will be able, finally, to see the smiles on her great grandchildrens' faces and feel the love that family brings.  I miss you Grandma.




I know you’re in a far better place but tears started welling up when I saw your face.
A picture taken long ago, at a more simple time in a happier place. 
The smile I remember and the time slows down.  I can smell your perfume I remember the sound of your voice.
I remember you letting me drive when we rode in your red car.  Not too fast and not too far.
I remember the pink candy always filling the dish on the hutch.  We could always take some, but not too much.
I remember the cherry delight always finishing family meals. I remember the first Christmas without you here and how empty that feels.
I remember and I miss you.  But we have all missed you for years now.  Talking on the phone was never enough anyhow.
I wish you could have been with us each Christmas.  You used to love Easter, too.
I wish you could have known your great grandsons; you would have loved fishing with them too.
You were so far away from all of our lives and the love we wanted to share.
There were so many times over so many years that I wish you could have been there.
Now that you are free from the sadness and pain I know you can smile again. 
I know you can be anywhere now.  It makes me feel better somehow.
I hope that you will look down and be a part of our lives, it will be so nice to finally have you there.

1 comment:

  1. Chris,
    I am crying happy tears while reading this wonderful message from your heart. You are such a wonderful son & grandson. I love you Chris. Your message is right on....maybe "Grandma inspired" :-)

    ReplyDelete