Friday, June 17, 2011

Father's Day reflecting...

With Father’s Day approaching this weekend, I thought it would be a good time to take stock of my role as a Dad…and reflect a bit on the other Dads that have touched my life.

On September 3rd a long, long time ago I made a father out of my Dad, with a little help from my Momma of course.  I was his first in a series of sons.  I remember wrestling with him on the floor and running with him in the grass, I remember watching him play tennis, I remember him working hand in hand with his Dad on building our home.  We moved in before I started kindergarten and it is still “home” today, built by the hands of two loving Dads.  My Dad was a strong figure in my life, and still is today.  He was a coach, teacher, builder and fixer as I grew up and today is a grandfather, teacher, fixer and friend.  It amazes me how wise my Dad became once I had 3 sons of my own.  I know now why Dad spent so much time in the garage and also why he didn’t mind National Guard summer camp  coming along for 2 weeks every summer, and also why he was always ready to come back home and give us huge hugs when the camp was over.  I have a wonderful father, and my boys have a fantastic grandfather.

A year or so after I turned my father into a Dad, my father-in-law became the Dad of a daughter, and a beautiful one at that.  He was also a strong figure in my wife’s childhood and taught her much about loyalty, being a person who stands by their word and about having real Faith.   As Tanya and I started dating, he became a strong influence in my life as well.  He taught me a lot about Faith, about forgiveness and about seeing God’s opportunity amidst adversity.  He is a strong and loving father and is a great “Timpa” to my boys.



When I found out that Tanya and I were going to be parents, and especially once I found out we were having a son, my world changed forever.  Since my boys have come along I realize that the change from man to father isn’t a one-time thing.  Being a father is much more a gradual evolution than a sudden transformation.  Life as a parent tends to be hectic and glorious and demanding and wonderful and exhausting and inspiring all at the same time.  It is a lot like boot camp, you get broken down and rebuilt, sometimes on a weekly basis…but it all works together to make a man better equipped to raise healthy, happy and somewhat normal kids.  I wouldn't trade our wrestlemania, dart gun wars or snuggle times for any amount of fame or riches, my role as a father is the most demanding and rewarding one I will ever play.

My role as a Dad is ever-changing, but my goal as a father remains the same.  I want my boys to grow into men that love unconditionally, give without expectation of reward, laugh from deep within, forgive those who hurt them, understand the importance of hard work and fear no one but God.   

And when their time comes to enter into the ranks of fatherhood and turn me into a grandfather…I hope that they can look back and realize that at least once in a great while, I got things right as a Dad.

Happy Fathers Day!

2 comments:

  1. Well said....you are such a wonderful Dad. You sons are fortunate to have such a great role model, loving Dad in a Christian home. I'm so proud of the man you are, Chris. This will make your Dad's Father's Day. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris,
    As per usual, a very well written and touching piece. I always look forward to your blog posts.

    Your friend from across the road,

    Chad Marthey

    ReplyDelete