Friday, September 17, 2010

When I married my wife I officially became a cat owner.

I didn’t mind Meka when we were dating and actually grew to love her once she was officially a member of my household. She was a playful and unique cat. Even at around 15 years old she looked like a kitten at times.
From the time I met Tanya, Meka has just always been part of the package. Most of the time a good part. Over the past 12 years she had put up with 7 moves, a rambunctious dog who thought she was half toy-half companion, 3 crazy kids and unfortunately, less and less attention from Tanya and I.
This morning, after a lot of discussion and tears, we had to say goodbye to her. It was her time.

Last night, after lying in bed for a few minutes it hit me that it was her last night with us. I went downstairs and found her sitting in the living room, staring at the wall. I brought her up and put her in bed with Tanya and I. She purred as Tanya sobbed and pet her. I pretended to be asleep.
When Meka sensed that Tanya was falling asleep she hopped off the bed and back down to the hardwood floor with a familiar thud.

I’m not sure why I felt the need to, but I grabbed a piece of paper off of my nightstand and crumpled it up. Paper balls have always been Meka’s favorite toy. When we pull out the couch to clean under it there are always a few small paper balls she has played with and then batted under, just out of her reach. I crumpled the paper up and she immediately was at my feet bouncing like a kitten. I threw the paper into the corner of the room and listened to the familiar sound of her talking to it and swatting at it. Usually I would get punched in the arm or at minimum chastised by Tanya for letting Meka have a ball before bed, knowing that the meowing would keep us awake for the next 4 hours as she played. This time, not a word. We both listened to Meka playing, talking to the ball, pouncing on it. I even got up at one point and threw it down the stairs for her, knowing the noise would continue as she played with the paper ball from step to step. Finally after an hour I picked the ball up and we got some sleep.
I will miss our cat. I am not a “cat person” and I can’t say that we will ever own another one. Maybe someday, but not soon. The boys want a dog, and we will get one at some point, but not for a while. I think the quiet house at night will be a good reminder of our friend Meka. It will be hard for Tanya for a little while. The boys will take a few days to notice. I’m pretty choked up when I think about it right now, but I know we did what was best for her.
The day will come when the last paper ball is found under a piece of furniture. It will be a month from now. Tears will be shed.
The worst part of being a pet owner is also the best part, you really grow to love the animals in your life, and the worst part of loving anyone is letting go.

No comments:

Post a Comment